It is important to understand how the burner works. With the push of a knob or button, a spark goes to the spark plug. It ignites the fuel and the gas burner starts working. The spark itself is generated by the ignition unit. When you turn on the stove, a characteristic click is heard, which disappears after releasing the handle. If there is no fire or sound, this is a direct allusion to a technical failure. There are several reasons for such malfunctions:
clogging of nozzles
a crack appeared on the ceramic candle of automatic ignition
insulation damaged in the electric ignition
stove control unit out of order
oxidation or wear of buttons
electromagnetic burned out valve
burned out thermocouple.
If the stove is old, the nozzles are located deeper, that is, you have to get to them. For this, not only the cover with the divider is removed, but also the cover of the hob. Here you need to unscrew a couple of screws. When the access is open, the hole is also cleaned with a needle by gentle rotation between the fingers.
During the diagnosis, the first thing to do is examine the electrodes. The electrode is a ceramic candle, a rod if you like, which has a metal core. You should carefully inspect it, make sure there are no mechanical damages and cracks. The candle itself must be securely fixed next to or inside the burner. Sparking of some cooking zones is a sign of a crack. They will require replacement of the spark plugs. To access the damaged parts, the hob is disassembled. The spent candle is disconnected from the burners (here, by the way, there are retaining rings, they cannot be lost) and from the pulse unit. Instead of a worn-out unit, a new one is installed, a connection is made.
In case of damage to the high-voltage wire, usually one burner does not work - the one to which it goes. The wire must be inspected and the connection checked. On the one hand, it must be connected to the block, on the other, to the electrode. If there is a tear or damage to the insulation, it is sent for a replacement. We do not recommend doing this on your own, if only there is appropriate experience with an electrician.
If everything is in order with the electrode plug and the wire, the fault lies in the unit itself. One of the channels is likely damaged. A too weak, intermittent yellowish spark, or the complete absence of a spark on all electrodes, indicates a breakdown of the electric ignition unit. You can check this fault yourself by turning on the ignition in the dark. If the spark, as I said, is orange-yellow, then the block is 99% worn out. The unit is placed inside the slab and repair requires disassembly. It is unlikely that it will be possible to resolve this issue independently. After replacement, the spark will become correct, bright blue. Please note that the unit cannot be repaired, it must always be replaced.
If the spark is absent on all burners, the issue may lie not only in the ignition unit, but also in the button. It may be out of order. Here you need to disable the button, check its functionality with a tester. This is done very simply: with pressing, conductivity should appear, with pressing, conductivity should disappear. Additionally, the button wires are checked. The problem is eliminated by replacing or cleaning the oxidized contacts - depending on what the problem is. If you need help with home stove repair, call us right now!